Copyright Rush Olson Creative and Sports
Visionary Creative • Major League sports expertise
Sports Stuff We Know
• Players get hurt, traded, optioned, sold, transferred, and designated for assignment. One must plan for such eventualities in messaging.
• Sometimes the team wins. Sometimes it loses. In some sports, it ties or gets rained out. Creatives must plan for disparate on-field results, both from teams and individual competitors.
• Sports advertising can, and often should, reach beyond the die-hard fans. But the hardcore folks are guaranteed to see your messaging, so it must not turn them off.
• Sports have a seasonality a lot of other products don’t. One must prepare accordingly.
• Athletes have unique schedule requirements most talent does not. One must plan around them. Don’t plan to shoot with a baseball player on an offday during the season unless you’re paying a bankload of money.
• Sports compete with all other forms of entertainment, not just other sports properties.